As we discussed here and here, Wolverine is conducting cleanup work this fall at the site of its former tannery in Rockford. We selected a preeminent remediation contractor to lead the work, and last week workers began bringing trailers, equipment, and supplies to the site. Also, the White Pine Trail has been re-routed for the duration of the work.
This week, you can expect to see workers performing the following tasks:
- Continue bringing trailers and construction equipment to the site;
- Constructing an area near the trailers to stage equipment and supplies;
- Adjusting and expanding fences to fully enclose the work areas;
- Continue installing temporary access roads as shown on this map;
- Installing erosion and sediment controls; and
- Clearing vegetation along the Rogue River, north of Rum Creek
Once these tasks are complete, we expect to begin excavating soils, sediments, and other material as described here. Any hazardous waste will be sent to a landfill licensed to accept those wastes. All other material will also be transported offsite in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, and we expect to finalize specific locations soon.
Wolverine and its contractors are committed to limiting the impact of this work on neighboring residents, surrounding businesses, and the broader community. Consistent with this commitment, we have established the designated route shown on this map for trucks traveling to and from the site, so that traffic through residential and commercial areas of Rockford is minimized.
We will continue keeping the community informed through regular updates on this blog, www.WeAreWolverine.com, and through information posted at kiosks and in other locations accessible to the public. As always, residents with questions are encouraged to contact Wolverine directly at HouseStreet@wwwinc.com or (616) 866-5627.