On May 26, 2022, Wolverine Worldwide submitted a Work Plan for Final Remedy (Work Plan) for its property on House Street to Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). The Work Plan proposed to install three separate engineered caps that will cover approximately 27 acres of the House Street property and help prevent the infiltration of PFAS into groundwater.
This week, EGLE issued a letter notifying Wolverine that it has approved the Work Plan with conditions. Now that the Work Plan has been approved, construction activities can commence, with the overall project still expected to take at least three years to complete. A detailed schedule will be determined as part of the contractor bidding process, but the following summary is what we currently anticipate for pre-construction activities:
· Permit submittals by January 31, 2023.
· Vegetation clearing will begin within 30 days of receipt of permits from the governing agency(ies).
· Bid documents provided to potential bidders by March 2, 2023.
· Bid submittals due by May 1, 2023.
· Contract award to contractor by July 30, 2023.
· Construction-phase work will begin by October 28, 2023.
We will continue keeping the community informed about this work, including the cap construction at our House Street property, through regular updates on this blog, www.WeAreWolverine.com, and through information posted at kiosks and in other locations accessible to the public. As always, residents with questions or feedback are encouraged to contact Wolverine Worldwide directly at HouseStreet@wwwinc.com or (616) 866-5627.